The Scarlet Letter New Unit Guide is Available

Go to the Handouts section of www.mrcoia.com and take a look at our new unit guide for The Scarlet Letter. You are reading chapters 1-6 due next Tuesday and Thursday (it’s a bit different than originally planned), making sure to mark it up. You need not print off a copy unless you’d like to get ahead. I’ll have a copy for you in class.

You are also purchasing small Post-It notes to use in our reading as discussed. Please bring these to class on Monday, at least 100 of them.

Here’s the link to The Scarlet Letter for purchase on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/The-Scarlet-Letter-Penguin-Classics/dp/0142437263/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1414133483&sr=8-5&keywords=scarlet+letter. If you order it right at this moment, you’ll have it for our second set of readings.

mrcoia

38 Comments

1. 30. Epistrophe: “Youth is not enough. And love is not enough. And success is not enough. And, if we could achieve it, enough would not be enough.” -McLaughlin

2. 33. Example: These poor test scores shows that this class is lazy and talentless.

3. 29. Epigraph: Slammed by Colleen Hoover
    “I’m as nowhere as I can be, could you add some somewhere to me?” – The Avett Brothers

4. [30. Epistrophe- “In this world, there is good and evil. In our minds, there is good and evil. In our hearts there is good and evil. In each and every one of us, there is good and evil. But I can only carry one, and I have chosen mistakenly.” – Joseph N 10/26/2014

5. 25. Induction- “85% of the girls in AP Lang enjoy reading. Emily is a girl. Therefore, she likes reading.”

6. RachelC-A1
    29. Epigraph: “Every question that can be answered must be answered or at least engaged. Illogical thought processes must be challenged when they arise. Wrong answers must be corrected. Correct answers must be affirmed.” -From the Erudite faction manifesto

7. 29) Epigraph:Flowers in the Attic by V.C Andrews
    “Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou?”- Isaiah 45:9

8. 24) Deduction: Everything made of iron is magnetic. This piece of wire is made out of iron, therefore this wire is magnetic.

9. 26. Diction: “The furry, exotic, yet clumsy rabbit, chewed her bright, orange carrot.”

10. 29. Epigraph: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
    “As the tide washed in, the Dutch Tulip Man faced the ocean: ‘Conjoiner rejoinder poisoner concealer revelator. Look at it, rising up and rising down, taking everything with it.’
    ‘What’s that?’ I asked.
    ‘Water,’ the Dutchman said. ‘Well, and time.’”
    -Peter Van Houten, An Imperial Affliction

11. 30. Epistrophe: “My anaconda don’t. My anaconda don’t. My anaconda don’t want none unless you got buns hun.” – Nicki Minaj, Anaconda

12. 29. Epigraph: On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King
    “Honesty’s the best policy.” — Miguel de Cervantes
    “Liars prosper.” — Anonymous

13. 29. Epigraph: Coraline by Neil Gaiman
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

14. 25. Induction: All the girls in APLang like blue. I am a girl in APLang, therefore I like blue.

15. 25. Induction: “Most of the girls wore heels at homecoming. Jasmine went to homecoming, therefore she wore heels

16. 30. Euphemism-
    SpongeBob: “He’s… he’s… pushing up daisies!”
    Patrick: “oh, I thought he was dead.”

17. 25. Induction: Mr. Coia is smarter and taller than all his students, therefore all teachers are smarter and taller than their students.

18. 25. Induction: Around October, people buy candy for Halloween. It is October. Therefore, people should be buying candy for Halloween.

19. 29. Epigraph: Waking Storms by Sarah Porter
    “Oh pride is not a sin, And that’s why I have gone on down to Walmart with my checkbook, just to get you some. Like waves in which you drown me, shouting… – Soul Coughing, ‘Pensacola’”

20. 30. Epistrophe: The inflation of gas prices is real, the diffuculty to get a job is real, the struggle is real

21. 29. Epigraph: From Paper Towns by John Green
    “People say friends don’t destroy one another
    What do they know about friends?” —”Game Shows Touch Our Lives,” The Mountain Goats

22. 25.Induction: All females can’t drive well, therefore I, a female, can’t drive well.

23. 30. Epistrophe: “We wept together. And we laughed together. And we grew together.”

24. If you are a dreamer, come in.
    If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar
    A hoper, a prayer, a magic bean buyer.
    If you are a pretender, come sit by my fire,
    For we have some flax golden tales to spin.
    Come in!
    Come in!
    ~Shel Silverstien

25. Negative-Positive: “Child, even in you’re world that is not what they (stars) are, but only what they are made of.” ~C.S. Lewis, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

26. Caricature: With her smile, hair, and large blue eyes ready to pop, she looked not unlike a large Barbie doll gone wrong.

Leave a Reply